About Engelbrecht Farm
The property that is currently called Engelbrecht Farm was originally built and first cultivated in the late 1800’s. Below is a quick history of Engelbrecht Farm, from it’s beginning to current day.
The property was a very typical midwestern farm with a house, barn and even a windmill for water. Even though the house saw an addition in the late 1940’s, the majority of the house still retains much of the old woodwork. The property still contains a few remnants from the originally built structures; for example, there’s a spot of concrete from the old walkway, the original windmill well and cistern, and parts of the original barn foundation can be seen.
During the 1940’s the farm saw a dramatic change. The house received an addition as well as the construction of the current barn, garage, corn crib, chicken coop and equipment shed. The last addition of concrete to the barn was inscribed F.W. 1958.
A Working Livestock and Grain Farm
The barn was built as a dairy barn with three milking stalls in the parlor. The milking area is still evident with the walls showing a bit of the original whitewash on them. The feed bunk is still intact as well as the hay trolley that carried the hay to the back of the barn.
The loafing shed attached to the barn, was where the cattle would take shelter and feed. In fact, if you take a tour around the barn you will see where turkeys and the farm dog walked through the wet concrete back in 1956. There’s still spots of graffiti on the walls made during construction showing which beam went where, a spot where someone did math and even livestock inventory dated December 1965.
The crib was built to store the farms wheat, soybeans and corn. Much of the original mechanics still stand like the grain elevator and the barge wagon hoist.
Today the third Engelbrecht generation oversees the farm. There are no longer any cattle, horses or pigs. However, the farm still actively grows corn, soybeans and wheat.